In the late 1730's and early 1740's,
settlers found their way into the Botetourt area. They came
mainly from Maryland and Pennsylvania. Settlers followed
the Indian Trails from Philadelphia to Yadkin Valley, North
There was a stage coach route from Blue Ridge to Fincastle,
that apparently closely followed what is now Mountain Pass
Road. It is thought the stage coach stop was approximately
where Mountain Pass meets Route 11, most likely north of
1881, this area had no name. The railroad came through and
a station was built. There were three houses then which
were occupied by John, Jim and George Trout - so the area
was called Troutsville. It became an important shipping
center in the 1890's.
In 1895, Troutville was a thriving town with a very active
shipping point, good farming, busy canneries, packing houses
The name of the town was later changed to Troutville.
This is an excerpt of the extensive history information
and was obtained from
"Town of Troutville, Virginia - A History of Early
written by Mary Anne Obenshain and Rosalie Hamilton Goad.
Copies of the history of Troutville are for sale at the
Troutville Town Office.
Please call the Town Clerk at 992.4401 for
2011 Town of Troutville
All rights reserved